Light Sensitivity

I have just found this site. Am having enormous problems with light sensitivity since a tree at my back door, covered in ivy, fell down a week ago and took with it my protection from the westerly light (and heat). 48 years of Sjogren’s has produced the severe light sensitivity and I have used sunglasses outdoors for decades but I don’t know how to deal with this. I wear multifocal lenses with shields inserted at the sides for protection from wind. Do you know if I could have a yellow tint with these and anti-glare coating? My eyes are so sore; I am feeling so desperate. I live in Melbourne, Australia - not so much available here I fear.

You’ll want to check with who you get your glasses from. Anti-glare coating is always an option on glasses. I don’t know why you can’t get yellow tint as well. The other option would be to see if you can get clip ons to try it out with.

Hi, I read somewhere that eyedrops are not good to use for the dry ice symptom. I have been using coconut oil, just a little bit on my finger tip and put it in my eyes. Make sure your hands are clean of course! It helps considerably.

This is a slightly old thread, so you may want to create your own new thread to get this more attention. But I do want to directly address this here as well. People will have varying degrees of success with over the counter drops. Preservative free is generally suggested for people with chronic dry eye because of the need for frequent drops. My eye doctor recently suggested a newer eye drop which is working really well for me.

More important than any of that, it is not safe to put things like coconut oil into your eyes. This would not be recommended for a host of reasons, including that it’s not sterile, and not intended for use in the eyes. The risk of infection seems quite high, as well as the risk of corneal damage.