One sentence of this hit hard, tell me what you think!

This information is from Dysautonomia International, and the last sentence 'in some cases the immune system becomes so active, that Sjogren's patients can develop three or more autoimmune diseases at once!

Those of you who also suffer three of more autoimmune diseases, don't you think if the Doctors, from general practitioners on up could diagnose you before your x-rays were so close to moderate to severe in joint damage, it could be contained as JUST a primary, instead of numerous?????

Sjogren's Syndrome

Sjogren's Syndrome is the second most common autoimmune disease in the United States, and possibly worldwide. One million people in the U.S. are living with Sjogren's. Experts believe there may be another three million people in the U.S. who have Sjogren's, but remain undiagnosed. Due to a lack of awareness within the medical profession and the complex and diverse symptoms Sjogren's can present with, the average patient can take five years to get diagnosed. Typical symptoms can include dry eyes, dry mouth, fatigue and joint pain. However, Sjogren's can attack any tissue or organ in the body, and not every patient has the classic dryness symptoms. Sjogren's can initially present as POTS. There is some evidence that younger patients, or those earlier in the disease process, may present initially with neurological symptoms and may be less likely to have the traditional symptoms of dryness. In the past, autonomic neuroapthy has been considered to be a rare manifestation of Sjogren's, but newer recent research indicates that approxiamtely half of all Sjogren's patients experiences symptoms of autonomic dysfunction. Many physicians rely only on blood tests (SS-A, SS-B and ANA) to rule out Sjogren's as a possible diagnosis. However, about 50% of Sjogren's patients with neurological manifestations do not test positive for any of the antibody tests. A minor salivary gland lip biopsy is currently considered the gold standard test to diagnose or rule out Sjogren's. The diagnostic criteria dor Sjogren's continues to be hotly debated by experts. The American-European Consensus Criteria for Sjogren's Syndrome is the most widely accepted diagnostic criteria at this time. Approximately 50% of Sjogren's patients have "primary" Sjogren's, meaning just Sjogren's and no other autoimmune disease, and the other 50% have Secondary Sjogren's. Secondary Sjogren's is Sjogren's in association with another autoimmune disease, most commonly Lupus, Rheumatoid Arthritis or Hashimotos Thyroiditis. In some cases, the immune system becomes so overactive that Sjogren's patients can develop three or more autoimmune conditions at once.
Sjogren's Syndrome Foundation
Sjogren's Syndrome Foundation Local Support Group Leaders - US & International - Since it's very hard to find doctors that have significant expertise in diagnosing Sjogren's, you can call the support group leaders and ask who the best local doctors are to diagnose and treat Sjogren's.
A Primer on the Neurological Complications of Sjogren's
Primary Sjogrens syndrome is associated with impaired autonomic response to orthostasis and sympathetic failure.

Here is what the website looks like currently

http://dysautonomiainternational.org/

What I listed above was from a post I made on here nearly 2 years ago

http://www.dysautonomiainternational.org/page.php?ID=150

Not sure yet if that sentence has been changed or retracted.

No it's still there, the difference seems to be that more fund raising is currently on the front page than in 2012, the info is still the same as far as I can see!

All 3 of mine came in all together (AIH, SLE, SICCA) within a year. Fortunately I was diagnosed within two years with all 3. However, before this I was having severe joint and foot pain and was diagnosed with osteoarthritis.

Thing is that my tests were under the radar. One of the recent rheumatologists thought I had it all for years. It explains some of things that happened in my life. And, from age 25 I had an ongoing elevated ANA that a whole truckload of doctors never followed up on. I think this was also due to the times since I was diagnosed at 52. I'm now 67.

I'm hoping that these diseases are emphasized as much as breast cancer in medical schools. Hoping that the docs pursue autoimmune diagnoses so no patient has to suffer.

Oh, I absolutely agree! We are surely lacking in proper medical diagnosis and care in autoimmune!

You always find the most informative information. Very interesting.

Thank you