Teary Eyes

The eye doctor confirmed my diagnosis of Sj. SAid my eyes are dry. But this morning my right eye is Burning like heck and tears are running down my cheeks from it. It feels like it does when you get mascara in your eye (only I'm not wearing make up now) ...Actually only one or two tears went down my face...but that is unusual. Maybe it happened because I was rubbing my eyes because they were burning. What do you think about this?

Part of dry eyes is that the tear quality, what is produced, is poor. It can leave your eyes feeling stingy and irritated, and have tears still. There is not a good oil layer being produced (part of the tears) so the tears that you do make will just run right out of your eyes.

Believe it or not, if your eyes are feeling like that, even if you are producing tears, you may want to talk to your doctor about using lubricating eye drops. I was told that as long as the gentle drops, such as Refresh, don't irritate my eyes, I can use them up to four times a day. If I'm using drops more frequently, I should use preservative free drops.

So sorry about the eyes and the need for no eye make up (which is a fun thing for us girls) Hope fully it will go away soon and calm down. I cannot remember when I last had tears, it is like they are damed up in there. I miss them beacuse there were a release....mimi.

Thank you Stoney. I may be having surgery later this week to add some tear ducts because he found I have Glaucoma. CAn't imagine that surgery. It's purpose is to reduce the pressure in the eyes.

I wish you the best of luck with the surgery. Hopefully you'll get some relief.

Qadosh2him,

I have had a simular experience on and off for several years. Initially my Optometrist said I would have to be experiencing it at the time of my visit for them to tell me any thing. Of course my eye would always play nice when it was time for my exams.

This last summer I had problems with my left eye almost non-stop. It was painful and runny all the time. Even blinking hurt my eye. I felt like my vision was declining but I didn't want to over react. One afternoon I finally had the idea of comparing my vision between my eyes. I was scared to see how bad my vision was in my left eye.

I made an emergency appointment for the next day. I had a large dry spot with a cut all in the middle of my cornea. The reason my vision was so effected is that the spot was right in place you see through. It's taken awhile but it's pretty much healed.

I still have discomfort and my Opthamologist said that the spot is not active but I do have a small scar. This means that I am even more susceptible for a reoccurrence. It's important that I try to keep my eye moisturized because the scar could heal completely. But this will take a long time and every reoccurrence reduces my chances of clearing the scar away.

I'm using thera tears at least 3 or 4 times a day (no preservative) and an ointment at night.

So, it sounds like your eye's are very dry. My experience is that eye dr.'s don't really take this seriously unless it's really bad. I think part of that is because they don't want to jump to plugs or stronger drops that can have other side effects. They really want you to use over the counter moister drops and ointments as often as needed.

But take care of yourself and go to the eye dr. when you feel it's necessary. You may need prescription drops if it gets too bad. I had to use an antibiotic for an infection and a steroid because it wasn't healing without it.

Josh,

Thank you for your post. It's possible that my eyes are very dry...My eyes had gotten quite bad before I finally did something about it...My optometrist wanted me to go to an ophthalmologist two years ago and it was only recently that I went...and I know that my eyes were bad even before I went to the optometrist. The eye doc I'm seeing now commented that my eyes are very dry. Plus I've got glaucoma now and am needing surgery. My eyes have been tearing like that for years. I should have researched it long ago but ignorance is bliss.

Thanks again for your post.

Cynthia

joshedu said:

Qadosh2him,

I have had a simular experience on and off for several years. Initially my Optometrist said I would have to be experiencing it at the time of my visit for them to tell me any thing. Of course my eye would always play nice when it was time for my exams.

This last summer I had problems with my left eye almost non-stop. It was painful and runny all the time. Even blinking hurt my eye. I felt like my vision was declining but I didn't want to over react. One afternoon I finally had the idea of comparing my vision between my eyes. I was scared to see how bad my vision was in my left eye.

I made an emergency appointment for the next day. I had a large dry spot with a cut all in the middle of my cornea. The reason my vision was so effected is that the spot was right in place you see through. It's taken awhile but it's pretty much healed.

I still have discomfort and my Opthamologist said that the spot is not active but I do have a small scar. This means that I am even more susceptible for a reoccurrence. It's important that I try to keep my eye moisturized because the scar could heal completely. But this will take a long time and every reoccurrence reduces my chances of clearing the scar away.

I'm using thera tears at least 3 or 4 times a day (no preservative) and an ointment at night.

So, it sounds like your eye's are very dry. My experience is that eye dr.'s don't really take this seriously unless it's really bad. I think part of that is because they don't want to jump to plugs or stronger drops that can have other side effects. They really want you to use over the counter moister drops and ointments as often as needed.

But take care of yourself and go to the eye dr. when you feel it's necessary. You may need prescription drops if it gets too bad. I had to use an antibiotic for an infection and a steroid because it wasn't healing without it.

Using the shermers thread test after heat injury to both l and r eyes the readings were near nothing on the moisture level

there is another test using larger items that I could not tolerate even after healing time the eyes are so dry with permanent lower l and r surgical closure to those punctals that my surgeon fashioned plugs for both upper l and r so I have dry eyes with both lower punctals sealed and both uppers plugged.

years have passed and I suffer vision problems with sjogrens and honestly do not think I could survive without taking 4 salagen per day as directed for without those blinking is not possible and skipping those even a few I have audible blinking.

red streaks are formed down my face with morning eye drops so I am fairly sure there is cause for the eyes to feel so gritty and red and irritated when tears production is faulty, it shows onmy face like claw marks but only first thing in mornings so it's not the drops, i use those all day and only red streaks int he morning. blessings and be mindful the sight is precious i nearly lost mine and would say please go on in to the eye doctor... anytime there is question xo take care.

Qadosh2him,

You're welcome. I hope it helps in someway.

Josh

-