Just some info please

Hi all

Just wondering, does your immunity with SS lower and become more susceptible to thing like Chicken Pox, even if you have had them before.

My 7yr old has them, this is the 2nd time. She is currently on her 4th dose of antibiotics since August due to recurring tonsillitis, the Dr said said it will be because of a compromised immunity.

Can anyone tell me if I am at risk of catching them.

:-)

I have no idea but I can tell you that I got shingles when my niece had chicken pox which I believe is in the same family as each other. I also got moluscum contagiosum which my doctor said only happens to children and elderly and people with compromised immune systems. So I would think so

Molluscum contagiosum (MC) is a viral infection of the skin and of the mucous membranes, sometimes called water warts. It is a very common thing with SS. Its a skin to skin contact disease. With SS, its because of damaged mucous membranes or water parts of the skin. Its been on the rise pretty consistently since the 1960's. Its extremly common on college campuses, considered almost an STD.

SS is not the result of a compromised immune system. Its quite the opposite in fact. Any time a natural treatment person tries to sell you something to boost your auto immune system especially arthritis, you know they are crooks. This diseases are the result of an overactive immune system. The medications such as plaquenil etc are immunosuppresent. If you have an increased risk of infection it would likley be because of medication.

Because it is an autoimmune disorder there is an increased chance of allergic reactions and sensitvities.

Thanks Angie & tj 1.

Hi Bones,

Is the tonsilitis due to an infection, possibly strep? I'm not the medical professional here, but have to ask, have they considered removing her tonsils? I had mine out at 5 years old and it seemed to solve a lot. I do realize that this cannot happen while the infection is present. Has she been examined by an ENT?

Sending my best to you, and your little girl,

SK

Moluscum is not an STD.

I said because of its growing prevalence on college campuses, the two primary methods of transmission, and without getting graphic the two primary locations of the "blisters" on campus it is almost considered an STD. (and most certainly is a part of the counseling on many campuses and high schools) Its is becoming prevalent enough it is no longer considered a lowered immune system in old people disease. Because of the nature of the mucius membrane system in SS patients it is a not uncommon comorbidity because there is so much of the virus around especially since the tracking started in 1966. Mayo calls it an STI: http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/molluscum-contagiosum/basics/definition/con-20026391 Not that it applies to you: http://www.plannedparenthood.org/health-info/stds-hiv-safer-sex/mol...

Angie said:

Moluscum is not an STD.

Hi SK

It started as a strep infection with suspected rhuematic fever. Haven't seen ENT yet, GP said if this lot of anti-biotic doesn't clear it or has another does before January then he will do referral.

Hope you are keeping well, Toni

SK said:

Hi Bones,

Is the tonsilitis due to an infection, possibly strep? I'm not the medical professional here, but have to ask, have they considered removing her tonsils? I had mine out at 5 years old and it seemed to solve a lot. I do realize that this cannot happen while the infection is present. Has she been examined by an ENT?

Sending my best to you, and your little girl,

SK

both of my boys had chicken pox twice. the doctor told me if they had a mild case the first time, they can get it again. sure enough, both got it again.

yes, there is a link between shingles and chickenpox http://www.webmd.com/vaccines/features/shingles-chickenpox

Yeah I know that, but all 3 of my girls had bad doses the 1st time and ended up on anti-virals. Luckily only a mild dose this time.

Toni,

I hope that ALL of your girls are soon well and that all of this goes right by you! My grandson and great grandson seem to pass strep throat back and forth all of the time. Surely this is passed around every school on the globe. Sometimes we don't know they have it until they're here! So far I've been lucky enough to avoid it!.

My husband and I got a terrible flu from the 4 year old last December and it took months to get over it. I had a flu and pneumonia shot this year, and hoping this will keep me well this year! It's always something!

Wishing you all well,

SK

Hi SK

Hi had my flu shot this year and got through the winter unscathed. The previous 4 winters got terrible colds and pneumonia that only prednisone cleared it. Hope you keep well this winter.

Wishing you the best, take care

Toni