Smells

Lately I have been so sensitive to smells I feel like a dog. I can "smell" another person, animal, food, stench at quite a distance (10 feet). When I ask a friend if they can smell something that I smell, they say no. I usually smell stinky things and go around spraying odor control because the stinky smells make me sick to my stomach.

Does any one have this overly sentive nose from the Sjogren's?

I have always been like that.

I used to have very sensitive sense of smell....but no longer.....but I have had Sjogrens for over 30 years....now I'm fortunate to smell much of anything. It's a very bland world......

OMG!!! I thought that it was just ME!! Actually, I didn't know that it was from the sjogren's. I'm smelling stuff like you. It's just stinky stuff. Why can't the smells be like cookies baking in the oven? :) I'm kinda freaking out because I can't trust my nose anymore.

I am the same way, my daughter always says I should work for the FBI because I can smell everything.

Yes I can relate to smell issues also...right now I would love to taste anything...baked potatoes feel like oatmeal in my mouth...urgh....one thing after another right?

Yes, I am so sensitive that the smell can be outside & I'm the only one who detects it. Can't stand lotions, perfumes, a woman's make up if she leans over to kiss me. I am constantly cleaning in & around the toilet bowls as the smell of urine is always there for me. Can't stand the smells of cleaning products, so I add a bit of white vinegar, some old cheap shampoo & baking soda ,instead. When one of my daughters comes to see us she cleans them with real stuff, closes the door & opens the window. How about when you are outside for a walk? I know when someone has had a chemical spray applied to the lawn - cross the street, fumes from cars are bad but fumes from a truck - I feel as if I need to wear a gas mask! Now the smell of food cooking is still enjoyable to me. And so it goes, learning to live with Sjogren's...

We were at a lovely store that sells beautiful home goods. I spotted a chair I loved, and my Mother bought it for me for Christmas. Once I got it home, where it was much warmer, there was such a strong scent to the chair that it made me ill. Even my husband could not take it. We had to take the chair back. It was as though someone had poured 10 bottles of cheap perfume on it. So no fabric from that store again, I'll have to stick to things that cannot absorb the scents of the store, there were candles and bowls of liquid scents, but there were strong fans on so I did not notice it in the store, but when I brought it into my little house it was just too much.

I use soaps and many other products that are plant based and scent free, I only wear perfume on special occasions, and use it very sparingly.

Think about all of the products we use that are scented, soaps, lotions, makeup, deodorant, shampoo, conditioner, hairspray, styling gels and setting lotions, laundry soap, fabric softener, perfume. How many conflicting odors do most people wear daily? Too many for me!