The two types of Sjogren's Syndrome, Anyone been told which kind they have?

Types of Sjogren's Syndrome
There are two main types of Sjogren's syndrome. It is possible to have both types at the same time:

• Glandular Sjogren's Syndrome: This type of Sjogren' s syndrome is the most common. It causes the body to attack its own moisture-producing glands, particularly the ones found in the eyes, nose, mouth, and vagina.
  • Extraglandular Sjogren's Syndrome: In addition to attacking the moisture-producing glands, this type of Sjogren�s also assaults other moisture-producing organs in the body, including the lungs, liver, kidneys, pancreas, and central nervous system.

I am not sure how this is determined, perhaps by biopsy?

I have primary Sjogren's, and although my Dr. did not ever even discuss the two types with me, I would guess that I have Extraglandular, because I have also been diagnosed with Trigeminal Neuralgia? Just guessing.

Oh, I am sincerely sorry to hear of the TN. My sister in law suffers terribly with it after a root canal years ago.

I had never known about the 2 kinds, until just now! The more I dig through the net the more I find!

What I find sad is that we have to do all the digging! It seems the doctors either don't know much, or if they do, they don't bother to share it with patients! It just proves how important it is to be your own healthcare advocate.

You are right on the mark, mc! Some days, and with some Doctors, you feel like you need to beat a drum and use a megaphone! I always dread having to add another Doctor to the mix, I've just had so many disappointments, and frustrations!

But wow, I feel like we have learned so much in such a short time! It's a job that you just cannot do on you own, the interaction of the group is vital!

I had asked for a copy of my test results, which is what anyone can do. The results definitely showed the SSB marker, which means Primary Sjogren's. This kind can affect any part of the body, because of the dryness in those organs. It is not a type of Sjogren's that is brought on by another disease. It is THE primary disease and can cause other problems.

Oh Della! Sending some good thoughts your way!

Thank you.