How to find a good Dr. who specializes in Sjogren's

How to find a good

dr. who specializes in Sjogren"s.

What area, Sharon? Coleman, MI?

Hallo Sharon, I know how difficult it can be to find the right doctor. We are told that our primary specialist should be a reumatologist. I think that's fine for Sjogren patients with RA rheumatoid arthritis, or any other type of joint problems but I have primary Sjogrens and have dry mouth and eyes with recurring oral candidas. In the Netherlands all hospitals keep a list of their Specialists and their specialities. My own doctor found a dermatologist who specializes in Sjogrens. At my appointment I asked him what the connection was between dermatology and Sjogrens. He said that many of his patients also had Sjogrens and he undertook research until he knew as much as anyone. He prescribed Pilocardine and Paquenil. Pilocardine I couldn't get on with, Paquenil hopefully will kick in in a couple of months. Regular visits to the dentist are a must. I have a wonderful homeopath who of course doesn't agree with much of the hardcore meds prescribed by regular doctors, He is prescribing complementary meds which he assures can be used with the "normal" meds. At the moment, I'm trying all sorts of things, and letting other meds go. Its a bit hit and miss but this site is unbelievably useful, and I'm grateful to have found it. Lots of luck with finding your right doctor. He's out there somewhere.

I did a search for RA's in my area online. I made a list and started making calls. I asked SPECIFICALLY if the doctor treated Sjogren's Syndrome. If the person on the phone had no idea what I was talking about, I just passed them by. I finally found one who knew what it was and treated Sjogren's. She explained a lot to me and because of this site, I knew she knew what she was talking about, which was great.

Do your research, make sure when you go for your first visit that they know what they are talking about and have literature about the illness and ask for reports from your primary doctor and other doctors you have visited in association with symptoms you have had. Orthopedic etc.

If the receptionist doesn't know what you are talking about, neither will the RA.

Good luck.

1 Like